Thursday, June 25, 2009

Oops!

I'm glad the last 7 days are over! They haven't been bad or anything, just busy. I made 60 wedding invitations for my sister and her fiance and as it came down to the last, I had all sorts of computer and printing issues. Luckily for me, my husband's an IT guy so he can fix anything like that, but it was still a huge annoyance when I was relying on the computer to finish these things. But they're all done and in the mail and next week I'll do a blog post about them. (I don't want to post pictures before my sister has even seen it in person!) So I am posting a picture of a random card instead.

My husband has a co-worker who buys my cards from time to time and last Tuesday night as we were getting into bed, my husband handed me a Post-It note with some details on it and said his co-worker needed the card and a gift card holder by Thursday. Even though I had many other things to do on Wednesday (Emily's wedding invitations, a Dodger game in the evening, Father's Day cards), I never like to turn down requests. So I spent most of Wednesday working on the card--the co-worker wanted to spend $15-$20 on the set and that meant a lot of details, customization and even a custom envelope. Not an easy nor quick job! So this card was for "Georgie" who was 16 and graduating from high school. I got the card mostly done, did some laundry, and a couple of other things, and we left for LA at 3pm.

{Side note: We live in Orange County and it takes 45 minutes to get to LA when there is no traffic. Thing is, there's ALWAYS traffic! That's why we left so early for a 7:10 game. However, we made excellent time and got to Dodge Stadium at 4:30. At the gate, they told us to turn around and come back at 5:10! So we did and it was really cool because we got to watch both teams (they played the Oakland A's) warm up and take batting practice. We had pretty good seats, too--close to the field--and the A's used to be my favorite team so I still root for them. I don't know too many players by name anymore, but it was still cool when they won (although, with all of their dropped balls, they really shouldn't have!}.

I digress...We didn't get home until 12:30am and I still had to finish the gift card holder so I stayed up until 2am to finish it. I gave it to my husband to take to work the next morning and he saw the flowers and said, "It's for a dude!" I just assumed "Georgie" was a girl (his coworker has always gotten cards for girls, never guys). So it's true what they say...Never assume! Oh, well, I still love this card and fortunately, de-customizing it was pretty easy. I hand-stitched on felt for the first time which was pretty time-consuming but I really love the way it looks and the soft texture that felt adds to the card.

{The cardstock and ribbon are from Papertrey Ink; the orange paper is Doodlebug Design, the "journey..." paper is K&Co., and the flowers are from Petaloo.}

No comments: