Thursday, June 11, 2009

Tickled Pink

I decided to participate in another Pink Persimmon challenge. This time we had to make a card using pink and orange (you know, like a persimmon!) and I love that color combination. I really wanted to use some of their stamps and in the course of my card design I tried a few different things. In the end, however, I ended up using just one of their stamps and it's really small! But it's very fitting ("tickled pink"). It's from the Ric Rac stamp set and it's curved, but I straightened it out (ah, the beauty of clear stamps).

Here is the card I made:


{I used supplies from Maya Road (chipboard butterflies), Doodlebug Design & Sassafras Lass (Paper), Stampin' Up! (word window punch), K & Company (flower vine stamp), Papertrey Ink (pink button, ink)}


I also decided to do a quick tutorial on painting the chipboard butterflies from Maya Road. It was pretty easy and I probably don't need to talk anyone through this process, but I know that when I started out making things, I always liked how-to's and getting tips from other crafters--I still do. (Click on any of the pictures to view a larger image.)

1. I started out with my plain butterflies...

2. The light pink acrylic paint is from Plaid and it's called "Ballet Pink." The darker, glittery pink is from Making Memories and it's called..."Tickled Pink!" Perfect!
3. My sponges are just foam makeup wedges. They work really well and you can wash them out and re-use them when you're done. I also use a piece of cardboard underneath and squeeze a little paint right onto that, then dip the sponge into it. Really convenient and nothing fancy.

4. I applied 2 coats of Ballet Pink as my base. It dries pretty quickly but I used the overturned lid of a yogurt cup to rest it on. If there's any wet paint on the underside of the butterfly, it will stick to the cardboard.

5. Next I applied 1 coat of the glitter paint. You can apply more if you want--the amount of coverage you want is up to you.

6. Just let dry (I placed it on the yogurt lid again) and then you're all done!


Because this chipboard piece has little cutouts in it, I decided to adhere it to an old book page (another of my $1 books!). Then I cut around it with pinking sheers and inked the edges of the paper with Raspberry Fizz ink.

I hope you enjoyed my card and my easy tutorial. Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Darcy said...

What a great card Rebecca! I love how you put the book page behind the butterfly. Great technique. And straightening the curved clear stamp looks great! Thanks so much for playing along with our challenge. - Darcy

Ali Manning said...

Your card is really gorgeous - i love how you made the butterfly!