Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Remember To Dream

Betsy Veldman has a fun challenge going on and I thought I would play along since the rules are to find pictures of things on the web that inspire your design style and then make a card based on them. I love finding things like that. I think everyone has a personal style, but I'm not sure what mine is, exactly. Feminine, soft, and pretty, definitely; and I do love color. Aside from that, though, I just like interesting things. But I can't say that I don't like "simple" cards because, depending on what kind of mood I'm in, I might be inclined to make a simple card. So I hesitate to define my style since I like to think it is always changing. That doesn't mean I didn't LOVE taking part in this challenge, though! (And I'm always turning to Betsy's blog for inspiration...She does amazing things with color.)

I always, always, always get inspired by things in the Anthropologie catalog so I started looking there.


I love this pretty top with fabric roses on it. I was expecting to find some prints on their site since that's usually what attracts me--the shower curtains and aprons and bedding--but I have been on a kick lately of making my own 3-D flowers so I think that's why I was drawn to this shirt...

...and to this headband. I have also been obsessed with tulle as of late so, along with the flowers, it's really speaking to what I'm into now. (And I just think it's so pretty!) I can't wait to make my own tulle flowers.

I have been using buttons and lace on my recent cards, as well. I love the vintage, well-worn look and this picture, courtesy of the French General blog, The Warp and the Weft, captures that feeling wonderfully! I wish my studio was filled with things like this, but I can thank my mom for getting me started by giving me a bag of her grandmother's vintage buttons.

And finally, I recently bought this book at a used bookstore. My $1 copy is not an original Cecily Mary Barker, but a 2003 edition by Frederick Warne, based on her books and images. I bought a bunch of $1 books to use for crafting and I fell in love with this book as soon as I saw it. I've been wanting to use a page from it since I got it and the colors fit perfectly with the inspiration photos I chose.

So here is my finished product:

The fairy image is from the book and I added glitter to her wings and some of the flowers. I made the rosette from some cream wired ribbon, a button, and cream tulle, then trimmed the card with a couple different pieces of lace and a strip of green twill. The word stamps are from Crafty Secrets.

Thanks for the challenge and the chance to play along, Betsy! I wish I could put bright colors together like you can!

No comments: